Saturday 7 May 2011

No way!

Well the training day was a day from hell.  I was trained with a lovely America-Korean girl who had a thousand times more confidence that I did.  I'm shocked to say that they treated us very poorly.  Their contract included fines for sick days and fines for quitting with less than 3 months notice.  They had about ten thousand rules, and we were expected to come in two hours before our lessons started without pay.  There were tons of extra duties we had to do after lessons, also not paid for.  It was unbelievable.  Unfortunately I signed the contract, but it had a clause saying both the instructor and the managers could cancel the contract within the first three months.   We weren't paid for the 9 hour training day and they kept us until 9.30 pm.
The girl I was training with had arguments with them.  I was just mostly sick to my stomach, with anxiety and sweaty palms.  There were special areas for the Japanese staff which we weren't allowed to use, but they could use any areas they wanted etc.  We were expected to do a lot of bowing and kowtowing despite the fact that the place was a bloody English teaching school.
We were expected to call in everyday 2 hours before we were expected to come in to check the schedule hadn't changed.  They could change our schedules if they wanted, but it was nigh impossible for us to have any input.  They were going to give me 2 days off next month and I was working every single weekend on their schedule, a forty minute train ride from home, working until 10 at night in a big city.
When I said I didn't have a phone yet they were really rude and told me, "we you'll just have to get one before Monday'- I said I have to go to the city hall to register first and it won't be open on weekends and they haven't given me any time to go up there anyway, and they were just like *shrug* you'll have to find a way.

It was pretty much disgusting.  Where are the trade Unions here?  A bit scary.  Well I just emailed last night saying I wasn't going to start.

Basically a waste of a day where they even commented on the fact that I should get a manicure, and we were expected to dress modestly but look pretty for their costumers.

I say- No thanks!
I've looked them up online and some one has said- OneUp English School could more accurately be called One Up the Bum.  Stay Away.

I'm supposed to be starting on Monday- and they haven't replied to my email.  They have Takeshi's mobile number and this address, but I doubt there is anything they can do since they had the 3 month clause.

No comments:

Post a Comment