Friday 29 April 2011

Akihabara


So finally posting about Akihabara!  I managed to make it there alone on the trains.  I had to ask for help a number of times.  After standing with a wee map like a huge tourist, I bit the bullet and used some more Japanese.  "Sumimasen, Akihabara ni ikitai n desu..."



Unfortunately my camera isn't wonderful and I'm not a great photographer, so I didn't get that many photographs.  Akihabara is manga geek central.  Imagine a few Forbidden Planet stores six to eight stories high and you get the idea.   I met up with my friend Melissa at 5.15, but I was there early and had a little look around myself.  The place is known as Electric City, so it has lots of electronics and up to date gadgets at really reasonable prices.  I got myself some nice new red earphones that I can stick right in my ear, which muffle out other sounds (such as snoring boyfriends for example :p)

I also saw a girl wearing a top with EngRish on it.  I think its worth noting down what her top said...'Protect the body Squirrel Habit'...  I'd love to hear your interpretations of that profound advice.

After I met with Melissa we decided to go for a coffee and a catch up, and then we went to Karaoke for two hours.  For those that don't know Karaoke is actually a Japanese word, and it's an absolutely huge business here.  They have Karaoke buildings all over the place, and groups of friends go and book into a room, they are provided with drinks, and in some cases food, and there's a karaoke screen and mics and little touch screen tablets to choose songs.  Sooooo much fun!





Had a really great wee evening, and I'll be seeing Melissa again next week for some movie watching.  Since I forced myself to stay up the whole day instead of sleeping, by the time I got home at 10.30 I was absolutely exhausted and I was able to sleep through the Japanese night for the first time (even if I did get up at 6 am and write this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment